The Mega-City One version was in use as early as 2080. It was visually distinctive for the selection dial enabling the user to override the onboard computer and select from a range of ammunition types.
The viewfinder had a minimum range of 200mm and zoom facility increase to 2,000 mm for long range and could track target types (human, armoured human, light machine, heavy machine or human and machine), velocity rating, magazine level indicator and shell identity (GP, RR, I, AP, G and HE).
It was equipped with the following types of ammunition:
- GP: General Purpose, propelled by Argon 88 b, maximum range 3 miles
- RR: dodgems / rubber ricochet, can be effective against armoured humans
- I: Incendiary, effective against light machine
- AP: Armour Piercing, effective against light machine
- G: Grenade, effective against heavy machine
- HE: high explosive, effective against human and machine
- heatseeker / hot shot - introduced shortly before Christmas 2098 up to five stored in each glove pouch, the hot shot fitted on to the end of the barrel and was propelled by GP shell
- Flash strobe head, stored in the boot pocket of the left leg